Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Compare Cheap Home Insurance

Home insurance is an assurance. Protects your home and its contents from damage or theft should the unexpected happen. A home insurance policy helps cover the cost of any unavoidable damage to your home, such as fire or flood damage, as well as replacing your stolen valuables if they are stolen.

Do I need home insurance?

Unlike car insurance, which you have to drive legally, home insurance is not a legal requirement for homeowners or renters. It's a good choice, though, that provides peace of mind if something suddenly goes wrong.

If you want to take out a mortgage, the lender will likely insist that you get building insurance before they will lend you the money. If you're a renter, you'll only need to cover your belongings - the landlord takes care of the building cover.

What insurance do I need for my home?

There are two types of home insurance: buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can get both separately or get both from the same company on a joint home insurance policy.

What is construction insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of your home - bricks and mortar - and any permanent fixtures or fittings (from doors to the kitchen sink).

Building insurance

What is Home insurance?

Contents insurance protects the things in your home (like the TV and sofa you watch from) against damage or theft - some policies also cover your belongings while you're abroad.

Contents of insurance

What is joint home insurance?

You can get your premises and contents insurance with the same insurance company to reduce the hassle, but you should always compare prices to ensure you're getting the best deal.

How much does home insurance cost?

The premiums you pay for home insurance will depend on a number of factors, including your home, its structure and contents, your location and your claims history. This is because all of these can affect how likely you are to make a home insurance policy claim.

It will also depend on your policy - if you buy contents and building insurance together, you may be able to save money compared to getting them separately. In fact, between October and December 2021, the combined policy was on average around £30 a year cheaper than taking out separate policies.

Type of coverage Average annual premium *

Building and contents £162

Buildings 132 GBP

Contents £57

*MoneySuperMarket data was collected between October and December 2021 and is correct as of January 2022.

How can I get cheaper home insurance quotes?

You may be able to lower your home insurance premiums if you can do the following:

Create a no-claims discount

You can usually get a no-claims discount if you've gone a few years without making a claim

I pay annually

Paying for your insurance, everything at goworks is cheaper than monthly so it's worth doing if you can

Pay more excess

Claim higher amounts from insurance companies that they are unlikely to claim, and therefore receive lower premiums

improving home security

Protect your home with a burglar alarm, secure door and window locks and a safe - especially if you live in a burglary hotspot.

Keep your home busy

Unoccupied homes are at greater risk of theft or damage due to fire or water leaks

Insulate water pipes

Pipe insulation reduces the risk of freezing and thawing damage in cold weather.

Install a smoke alarm

Installing smoke alarms around your home is not only common sense in terms of safety, but it can also lower your insurance premiums

Shop around

Get quotes from several different insurance companies - we work with over 55 companies to help you find the best deal for you

What does home insurance cover?

The exact level of cover you receive will depend on the details of your insurance policy. Many home insurance policies will offer similar types of protection, while most will also have certain exclusions.

What is usually covered?

Fire damage

Floods and storms

Theft and vandalism

Pipes burst and water is leaking

falling and rising

What is usually not covered?

wear or tear


No maintenance

Information provided incorrectly

Vacant real estate

What additional policy features can I get with home insurance?

Legal protection

You can run into legal problems if you own your own place, and the costs can be huge. This allowance covers most legal costs related to the home, from conveyancing, inheritance and probate, to disputes with neighbors or tradespeople